HMCS Courtenay was a Bangor-class minesweepThe Canadian West Coast became a ship building powerhouse during the Second World War for both Naval and merchant ships. Additional information regarding the construction, record and ultimate fate of these ships will be added to these pages as this project progresses with current information available through the links listed below. the Second World War. Entering service in 1942, Courtenay spent the entire war on the West Coast of Canada. The vessel was decommissioned in 1945 and sold for mercantile service in 1946. The fate of the vessel is uncertain.
The minesweeper was ordered as part of the 1940–41 construction programme. The ship's keel was laid down on 28 January 1941 by Prince Rupert Dry Dock & Shipyards Co. in Prince Rupert, British Columbia. Courtenay was launched on 2 August 1941 and commissioned into the Royal Canadian Navy on 21 March 1942 at Prince Rupert.
Courtenay spent the entirety of the Second World War on the West Coast of Canada. Courtenay was among the eight minesweepers added to the force protecting the West Coast during the first five months of 1942 following the need to establish a larger force following the Japanese attack on Pearl Harbor. Assigned to the patrol units Esquimalt Force (operating out of Esquimalt, British Columbia) or Prince Rupert Force, the main duty of Bangor-class minesweepers after commissioning on the West Coast would be to perform the Western Patrol. Patrolling the west coast of Vancouver Island, inspecting inlets and sounds and past the Scott Islands to Gordon Channel at the entrance to the Queen Charlotte Strait.
Following the end of the war, Courtenay was paid off at Esquimalt on 5 November 1945. The minesweeper was sold to the Union Steamship Company for mercantile conversion on 3 April 1946. However, the conversion never took place and the fate of the vessel remains unknown with Macpherson and Barrie tracking a purchase offer by a San Francisco firm in 1951 and the Miramar Ship Index claiming that the ship was broken up in 1946.
There has been only 1 vessel named Courtenay in the Royal Canadian Navy.
HMCS PRINCE DAVID
Builder: Cammell Laird & Co. Ltd., Birkenhead UK
Construction Started: 1929
Commissioned :28 Dec 1940
Dec 1942-March, 1943 West Coast - Converted to LSI for D-day
Propulsion: super-heat main boilers
2 × Scottish marine three-burner auxiliary boilers
19,300 ihp (14,392 kW) at 267 rpm.
Speed:22 knots (41 km/h; 25 mph)
Compliment: 31 officers, 383 ratings
4 × 6-inch/45 cal Mk VII guns in 2 single mounts forward and 2 aft (as AMC).
2 × 40-mm Bofors guns (as LSI M).
several Vickers .303 twin MGs.
10 × Oerlikon 20 mm cannon Mk 5 in single mounts after Apr.20/42 refit.
2 stern-mounted depth charge chutes for Mk. VIII 300 lb.canister depth charges (as AMC). Other Armed Merchant Cruisers
Cdr. W.B. Armit, RCNR - 28 Dec 1940 - 24 Mar 1941
Cdr. Kenneth Frederick Adams, RCN - 25 Mar 1941 - 01 Dec 1941
Capt. V.S. Godfrey, RCN - 02 Dec 1941 - 18 Mar 1942
A/LCdr. Thomas Douglas Kelly, RCNR - 19 Mar 1942 - 16 Apr 1942
Capt. Valentine Stuart Godfrey, RCN - 17 Apr 1942 - 17 Apr 1942 Cdr. Thomas Douglas Kelly, RCNR - 18 Apr 1943 - 01 May 1943 Cdr. Thomas Douglas Kelly, RCNR - 23 May 1943 - 14 May 1945 LCdr Charles Archibald McDonald, RCNR - 14 May 1945 - unk Cdr. Thomas Douglas Kelly, RCNR - unk - 11 Jun 1945
CFB Esquimalt Naval & Military Museum Joseph M. Lenarcik, Assistant Curator. Esquimalt, British Columbia, Canada